For Carers, Guardians and Parents
All carers, parent or guardians can do with a bit of extra help sometimes. Not everyone has all the help they need available locally in their family.
Looking after soneone you love who is affected by a disability or long term illness can be challenging. You are entitled to an assessment of their needs. Some parents have problems of their own which mean that the adult son or daughter they are caring for needs some services that will help them, and give carers a break and some support.
There are organisations that can help you, these may include some of the following:-
- Adult Support and Protection Social Worker - 01595744400
- Carer Support Groups - http://www.shetlandcarers.org/
- With You for You - With You For You is a process for adults over 16 years of age (the Customer) who require support or services from more than one organisation in Shetland http://www.shetland.gov.uk/community_care/with_you_for_you.asp
- Advocacy Shetland – this voluntary organisations can provide you with an independent advocate, for more information http://www.advocacy-shetland.org/
- Action Fraud - Report a scam to Action Fraud. They provide a special service, alongside Victim Support, for carers to report scams on behalf of a vulnerable victim. The victim must be one of the following:
- under 17
- have a mental health problem or learning difficulty
- have a physical disability.
The website address is www.actionfraud.police.uk and the telephone number is 0300 123 2040.